Week 8 Powerpoint Psycho
· Imagine that Jennifer Brea, whose TEDTalk (TED Conferences, LLC, 2016) you watched, is referred to you for ongoing supportive therapy when her psychiatry consultant decides that she does not have a conversion disorder. Despite the psychiatrist’s opinion, her primary care physician ignores that consult and labels Jennifer with the conversion disorder anyway. Be sure to investigate what the ‘conversion’ diagnosis means when responding.
· Record your presentation using Personal Capture (record audio, video, and screen). See Kaltura Media Uploader in left-hand navigation menu in course for directions on recording and uploading media.
By Day 7
Submit a 5-minute recorded PowerPoint (5–7 slides) in which you address the following:
· Explain in a concise professional manner how you would conduct your first meeting with Jennifer. Identify specific steps you would take to understand her circumstance and needs.
· Explain how you would proceed with her medical team in terms of advocacy for her as a client believed to have this condition.
· Explain why you would need to take a biopsychosocial approach to her ongoing care.
· Explain what social, family, vocational, Internet, and medical supports you would explore to help with her longer-term stabilization.
· Analyze the controversy in diagnosing a mental disorder based on unexplained physical symptoms. Within your analysis, consider how power and privilege influence who provides the diagnoses and which groups are more likely to be diagnosed with certain disorders. Explain your thoughts on this debate.
Support your presentation with research and references to scholarly literature.
Include a transcript and/or edit closed captioning in your presentation to ensure your presentation is accessible to colleagues of differing abilities.