Short Film: Kleingeld (1999) Pick 3 Questions
- There are two main characters, Dr. Hoffman (the banker), and the beggar.
- On the surface, what is their relationship?
- Why does the beggar wash the banker’s car?
- Why does the banker react the way he does?
- Compare the two main characters.
- In what ways are they similar to each other?
- In what ways are they different from each other?
- Who do you sympathize with most? Why? (There is no right or wrong answer to this.)
- What is the central conflict of this story?
- What is the inciting event? (What starts the conflict?)
- How does the conflict escalate?
- Who is responsible for escalating the conflict?
- In your opinion, what is the climax of the story?
- The setting for this film is a large, anonymous city in autumn. How does that setting affect the overall feel of the narrative? (One way of approaching this question is to consider how the story would be different if it were set a different location, say a small town, or in a different season, say spring.)
- Did your feeling for and understanding of the banker change as the story progressed? If so, how?
- What is the central theme of the story? (To use the language of the textbook, ‘What is the implied meaning’?)
pick three questions