Reading Guide #8 332 Fall 2017
Rus, M., & Galbeaza, A. B. (2013). Psychological aspects of child sexual abuse.
Contemporary Readings in Law and Social Justice, 5(2), 499-510.
1. How do Rus and Galbeaza (2013) describe abuse?
Use of force in order to try to dominate child, to compel him/her to do dangerous things that he/she does not want to do, expose him/her to hazardous situations or to situations perceived by him/her dangerous. Any action that causes injury or psycho-emotional disorders is abuse.
2. What are the ways abusers can manipulate their targets?
Physical abuse Emotional abuse Sexual abuse Economic abuse Neglection
3. What are the defense mechanisms a child sexual abuse survivor might display as an adult?
Disintegration of personality may be one of the most fundamental defense mechanisms used by incest victims.
4. Name 5 of the direct signs of distress abuse can cause in an individual.
Low self-esteem. Symptoms of depression. Narcissism, Alcohol, drugs and mental illness Shame
5. What is the picture of sexual abuse in Romania?
There are many tourists who go to Romania for sex tourism, especially pedophiles. Some travel societies offer pictures of children at a certain price.
Abuse/ignorance of children is widespread, and 9.1% of children surveyed have said they have been sexually abused
6. What is the take home message in the Rus and Galbeaza (2013) article?