Promoting Cognitive Development
As you have learned in your readings, Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, and Vygotsky took different approaches to child development. One’s theoretical perspective influences approaches to child development. The Davidsons have a preschool-aged daughter named Annie. They have approached Marcus, the child development consultant, for advice on how to promote and nurture her cognitive development.
Watch the following video to learn more about the similarities and differences of developmental theories. Study of the Child: Theories of Development I, produced by Herzog, Milan & Herzog, Shanta (Learning Seed, 1997), 29:02 mins obtained from Alexander Street Press Education in Video from Agrosy University online library resources.
In a 6- to 8-page Microsoft Word document, address the following:
- Compare and contrast the approaches of each of the four perspectives (Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, and Vygotsky).
- Explain how each theorist would approach the issue of cognitive development in early childhood. Taking each theoretical perspective, explain what would be going on cognitively for Annie and what advice might be given to her parents from each theoretical perspective.
- Explain the role would society and family play in Annie’s development at this age. Be sure to tie in your readings to explain cultural, psychosocial and physical influences. Remember to consider how the family’s ethnicity, use of daycare, social views, etc. might influence how she is raised. Support your hypotheses with research, not your opinion. Aside from the book, you might consider using the Kotchick & Forehand article you read in Module 1.
- Incorporate information learned in your readings and at least one peer-reviewed* article from the Argosy University online library resources to support your conclusions.
* Peer reviewed means an article from a reputable journal, which can be found in the library. Peer reviewed indicates that other professionals in the field have reviewed and deemed it worthy of publication, in contrast to much if what we find online: someone posting something they want, without someone else verifying that their methods were rigorous enough and the study is valid. Use your book and course lectures as your primary resources, as well as articles from our library. If you must supplement from a website, do not use .coms. Instead, look for .org, .gov, and sometimes .edu for more reputable sources. Never use Wikipedia or about.com.
- Save your 6- to 8-page Microsoft Word document as LastnameFirstInitial_M3_A2.
- Include introductory and concluding paragraphs in your paper, a title page and a reference page.
- Be sure to follow APA rules for attributing sources. Use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
- By the due date assigned, submit your document to theSubmissions Area.
Assignment 2 Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsAnalyzed the approaches of each of the four theoretical perspectives (Piaget, Erikson, Skinner, and Vygotsky).32Explained how each theorist would approach the issue of cognitive development in early childhood. Described how advice to Annie’s parents might vary depending on theoretical perspective.36Explained the importance of society and family play in cognitive development during early childhood.32Discussed the cultural, psychosocial and physical influences on cognitive development in early childhood.32Incorporated information from the module readings and at least one peer-reviewed article to support conclusions.24
Style (4 points): Tone, audience, and word choice
Organization (12 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion
Usage and Mechanics (12 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
APA Elements (16 points): In text citations and references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style