As a reminder, tor this project, you will need to identify a social institution (my topic is education) and provide a Functionalist and a Conflict Theory analysis of your institution in American society (the theory is important!).
Assignment Requirements (Review)
You will need to conduct research on your specific institution a combination of 7-10 resources (e.g., books, newspaper articles, news magazine articles, sociological journals, internet sites, videos, DVD’s, interviews, etc.).
After you have conducted your research, you will analyze your information answering the following questions:
- Discuss the history of your institution. How did it emerge? How did it come into existence?
- How do members of society perceive your institution?
- How do members of the institution perceive itself (its own institution)?
- How has the institution changed over time?
- What has caused various institutions to change?
- Discuss any stable features of the institution, that is, features that have not changed.
- As a way to better accommodate members of society, how would you improve your institution?
- Who are the major participants in the institution? What are their roles and statuses?
- Does your institution work better for some members of society (as opposed to others)?
- Apply a conflict and functionalist analysis to your social institution
You will then organize and submit your information in outline format on a PowerPoint (10 – 15 pages) or other slide/presentation program. Your slide presentation should include images, videos, charts and graphs where applicable. You are welcome to use Google Slides (Links to an external site.) （https://support.google.com/docs/topic/1694827?visit_id=637207770916456322-910290830&hl=en&rd=1）if you do not have access to PowerPoint, but please make sure to download your file from Google Slides as a .pdf, .ppt or .pptx file. You must have a Turnitin score, and it must be under 30%, for you to receive credit on this assignment. Everyone is individually responsible for ensuring that the presentation is posted correctly and on time for credit, although only one member of the group needs to submit this assignment. Please make sure to submit the assignment by the due date! Reserve the grace period to work out any technical issues.
- Find the rest of your sources to complete your project. Take notes.
- Create an outline using full sentences. (This is what you will use for Project 2: Sharing & Peer Feedback Discussion.)
- Simplify your outline and modify as necessary based on peer feedback from the Project 2: Sharing & Peer Feedback Discussion.
- Create and upload your final PowerPoint/slide presentation. Include a Works Cited page at the end of your presentation for your citations. For more information about how to create a presentation (the principles apply to all presentations even though these resources are PowerPoint specific), check out this resource:
(Links to an external site.)（https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html）Remember that slides are a visual tool! Incorporate pictures, tables, charts, and graphs to make your presentation visually interesting.