Prewriting And Planning For The This I Believe Essay
- Prewriting and Planning for the This I Believe EssayAttached Files:
- This I Believe Assignment Sheet.doc (29.5 KB)
- Instructions: The attached document assignment sheet provides a quick walk-through of the assignment. Also you will find a link to a couple of example models from the website listed within the document.
- Prewriting and Planning for This I Believe (Unit 1 Assignment)Assignment Purpose: For this assignment, you prepare to write a This I Believe essay by generating ideas and planning how to organize your essay.
Assignment Description: There are two parts to this assignment:
1) Practice a technique called freewriting for five minutes. When you freewrite, you write without stopping for a set period of time. Do not stop. Do not worry about spelling or grammar. Do not censor your ideas. Just keep writing. If you get stuck, repeat a prompting question or the topic until something comes to you. Freewriting is about quantity rather than quality. We’ll reverse that philosophy when we start writing your essay, but for now focus on generating as many ideas as you can. When freewriting, you are not evaluated on how good your ideas are – just that you have a lot of writing and thoughts to work with. To start your prewrite, consider this question: “What are your most cherished beliefs?”.
2) Practice planning your essay. To plan what you want to write and in what order, try either an outline or a skeleton draft. An outline follows a specific format for organizing your ideas into paragraphs with some details mapped out. A skeleton draft is writing what you imagine the first sentence of each paragraph will be to get a picture of your essay sub-topics from start to finish. You do not need to write the full essay, just map out a few of the ideas you plan to include.
See a sample of what this assignment looks like here: Preparing for Your This I Believe Essay.docx