- Which of the following are recommended ways to keep in-laws from becoming out-laws?
Make plans early
Be careful how you compromise
Be positive when things turn negative
All of the above
- The authors prefer to train couples instead of individuals to become marriage coaches.
- This is one of the most common marriage mentoring mistakes:
Trying to solve a problem before it is fully understood.
Allowing the mentees to fully explain their issue before problem solving
Encouraging the mentees to share and grow
Trying to give advice after the problem is fully explained.
- The two critical dynamics necessary for the success of mentoring relationships are:
Responsiveness and attraction
Attraction and encouragement
Attraction and attention
Responsiveness and attention
- The author compares the process and content of marriage to
the digestive system
- In marriage and marriage mentoring, you must always remember that _____ are hard.
None of the above
- When mentoring married couples, it is important to set ____.
- The section in the book about math in marriage coaching is used to explain what concept?
That division of a marriage equals less happiness
That the multiplication, or amplification of an issue equates bigger issues
That both sides should receive equal attention
That there is value in every marriage
- What is one the most important questions for couples to ask themselves when making decisions about their marriage?
What does our marriage need?
What do I want in our marriage?
Should my wants or my needs be a priority?
How can we be most immediately happy?
- For most couples who are doing pretty well, their primary stumbling block is either the lack of time or the lack of good communication.
- “Subtle selfishness is guaranteed to leave every married couple feeling more like roommates than soulmates.”
- According to Peter Senge, what is the first rule of learning?
People learn what they need to learn, not what someone thinks they need to learn.
People cannot learn anything. All behavior is predetermined by God and biology.
People can only learn if they agree with all of what is being taught.
None of the above.
- Who is responsible for change in the marriage coaching?
Neither a not b
Both a and b
- It is possible to fake genuineness without the mentorees noticing.
- For readers who are facing a crisis point in their marriage, what does the author provide?
Several strategic Bible verses.
A bonus chapter on crisis management
Contact information for a crisis coach
Contact information for a clinical psychologist
- In which of the following areas are deficits the easiest to fix?
All of the above are equally easy with the right level of commitment.
- According to the text, what can be the motivating factor for improvement in a marriage when one partner no longer wants to try just for the sake of his or her partner?
Respect for the efforts of the marriage counselor
Respect for marriage
Opposition to disrupting family life
There is no alternative. The marriage will probably end in divorce.
- Couples need to attend marriage counseling in order to effectively learn the skills of asking questions, listening, and setting goals.
- In dealing with conflict in marriage, it is important to attack the issue, not the _____.
- As the author reflects back to when he first got married, he expresses that
He was well prepared for the journey ahead of time.
He knew exactly what he was getting himself into.
He was unconsciously incompetent.
He knew that he would face a lot of challenges.
- In the conversation with clients presented in the book, the author tells the couple that they are going to focus on the process, instead of the content
- To illustrate the idea that it is the little things that matter in marriage, the authors use which example?
The Princess and the Pea
Mountains and molehills
Mosquito bites and elephant bites
None of the above.
- It is beneficial to remind mentoree couples that it is not important for a couple to continue to work on their marriage once they transition from husband and wife to dad and mom.
- According to Les and Leslie Parrott, it is possible for a couple to recover after infidelity has occurred.
- What skill made all the difference in Ted and Cindy’s relationship?
- According to the Les and Leslie Parrott, which is a caution flag for marriage mentors?
Presence of an addiction
Both A and B
- If you are meeting with a couple that you genuinely don’t want to meet, you ______
should pray for a change of heart.
have no business mentoring them.
call right before the session to cancel.
power through it for their sake.
- A marriage mentor is a more experienced couple who helps another couple successfully navigate a journey they have already taken.
- Gaining skills in selfless listening opens the door for couples to
fight more often.
model godly love.
put on a good façade for others.
use more nonverbal communication.
- The author talks about hope as one of the last experiences of whom?
Couples who are in the process of getting divorced
Couples who decide to begin the process of filing for divorce
Victims of suicide
Everyone who knows they are about to face death
- If necessary, marriage mentors may need to compromise their values and convictions in working with other couples.
- Approximately 50% of martial disruptions occur before the third anniversary, and 32% of couples who separate or divorce do so by the fourth year of marriage.
- Mentoring must be amoral in order to refrain from passing judgments on the personhood of the mentorees as human beings.
- Who or what is the client of marriage coaching according to the author?
Both the husband and the wife as individuals
The marriage itself
- What is the function of a Marriage Coach?
Helping the couple choose goals
All of the above
- For the various different issues that arise for couples in marriage coaching,
there is a specific action plan appropriate for each issue.
the same general process is used regardless of the issue.
there are categories of issues, and each category has its own action plan.
any of the above could be correct depending on the style of the coach.
- All of the following are important views of self for mentors to have except:
I can accept and respect people who disagree with me.
I can make a mistake and admit it.
I have to have all the answers for the mentoree couple.
I know my limits when it comes to helping others.
- Like in the story of Odysseus, marriage mentors become the _______ of the marriages you mentor.
- The Parrotts state the this phrase is a killer for any time-starved conversation and should be dropped from communication within marriage:
“Get to the point.”
“I’m not finished yet.”
“Why is this important?”
All of the above.
- The authors propose that all of these are considered vital areas which tend to cause the greatest consternation for newlyweds except:
Relating with in-laws
Learning the other’s love language
Creating family traditions
- According to the authors, empathy is a personality disposition that enables you to take the focus off yourself.
- The purpose of marriage counseling is to tell other people what to do to fix their marriages.
- Mentorees who are rushed into rapid changes will be set up for _____.
- Which of the following is NOT true of marriage coaching?
Marriage coaching relies on the coach’s specialized knowledge.
Coaches and mentors are free to share personal experiences.
In marriage coaching, the couple decides what and how to apply what they’ve learned.
Marriage coaching is more similar to mentoring than to counseling.
- It is important to note that the mentoring relationship is ___________.
Mutually agreed upon
Necessary for life
None of the above.
- What is one great question to ask or statement to make to begin a conversation to feel out the listener’s ability to be receptive?
“I need you now.”
“Is this a good time to talk?”
“This is an emergency.”
“How are you doing today?”
- All of the above are caution flags for those wanting to become marriage mentors except:
You are pessimistic about marriage in general.
You’re main motivation is to help your own marriage.
One of you is far more motivated to become a marriage mentor than the other.
You enjoy pouring into younger couples.
- Successful marriage coaching results in
a continual reliance on marriage coaching.
a desire to continue marriage coaching.
emancipation from the coach.
a perfect marriage.
- Fill in the blanks: The quality of __________________ is directly related to the quality of __________________.
- What is the second part of the miracle question? “If God want to give you a miracle for your marriage, …”
“… what would it look like?”
“… how would your relationship with your spouse change?”
“… would you be happy?”
“… would you be willing to receive it?”