Week 10 Discussion
“Do You Have What It Takes to Be a Public Leader?” Please respond to the following:
- From all of the weekly readings, analyze the key influences that the theoretical and practical aspects of public leadership may exert upon a public leader’s performance. Provide two (2) examples of these influences to support your response.
- From all of the weekly readings, predict two to three (2-3) challenges that public leaders will face regarding the future of public leadership. Provide a rationale for your response.
Week 10 Reading(s)
Read the following articles and be prepared to discuss:
- The Leadership Dilemma in a Democratic Society
- Modern Leadership Principles for Public Administration: Time to Move Forward
- Future Trends in Leadership Development
Click the link above to submit your assignment.
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 4: Public Leadership Presentation
Due Week 10 and worth 150 points
Condense information from Assignments 1, 2, 3, and additional criteria in order to develop a creative and appealing PowerPoint presentation.
Incorporate the professor’s feedback from Assignments 1, 2, and 3 in order to proficiently develop Assignment 4.
Use the basic outline below as headers for your presentation. Organize your responses to each question (except Questions 1, 2, and 8) under the following slide headings:
- Role of the Chief of Staff (for Question 3)
- Public Leadership Theory (for Question 4)
- Public Leadership Styles (for Question 5)
- Public Leadership Trends (for Question 6)
- Our Government Leadership (for Question 7)
Create a ten to twelve (10-12) slide presentation in which you:
- Create a title slide and references section (as indicated in the format requirements below).
- Narrate each slide, using a microphone, indicating what you would say if you were actually presenting in front of an audience. Note: If you do not have access to a microphone, then you should provide detailed speaker notes with your presentation.
- Briefly summarize your role as Chief of Staff and the task the City Manager had charged you with regarding the Public Leadership Academy.
- From the specific leadership theories that you had reviewed in the previous assignments, determine one (1) theory that best fits the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- From the styles that you had discussed in the previous assignments, determine two (2) styles that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide a rationale to support your answer.
- Predict three (3) public leadership trends that you believe will be particularly significant within the next decade.
- Based on your responses in Questions 4-6, prepare an argument that convinces the City Manager to adopt the leadership theory and style(s) that best fit the mission of the Public Leadership Academy. Provide support for your argument.
- Include at least four (4) peer-reviewed references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook. Note: Appropriate peer-reviewed references include scholarly articles and governmental Websites. Wikipedia, other wikis, and any other websites ending in anything other than “.gov” do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Include a title slide containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The title slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Include a reference slide containing the sources that were consulted while completing research on the selected topic, listed in APA format. The reference slide is not included in the required slide length.
- Format the PowerPoint presentation with headings on each slide, two to three (2-3) colors, two to three (2-3) fonts, and two to three (2-3) relevant graphics (photographs, graphs, clip art, etc.), ensuring that the presentation is visually appealing and readable from eighteen (18) feet away. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Slides should abbreviate the information in no more than five or six (5 or 6) bullet points each.
- Slide titles should be based on the criteria being summarized (e.g., “Four Key Attributes,” “Responses to Budget Issues,” etc.).