Course Paper in
Due by 11:59 p.m. on March 24 Please select one of the topics described below. Instructions follow the topics.
1) Risk factors, staging, and treatment of breast cancer; be sure to include some of the newer treatment options, such as herceptin therapy and hormone therapies and new options on the horizon.
2) Psychosocial factors associated with a breast cancer, prostate cancer, or testicular cancer diagnosis – be sure to include the impact on the patient with respect to work, relationships, and sexual activity.
3) Risk factors and treatment options associated with prostate or testicular cancer in males. Be sure to include how these cancers are diagnosed and how management may differ based on factors such as age.
4) Select an intersex condition and discuss its characteristics, diagnosis, treatment, and physiological and psychological implications
5) In light of the current debate about transgendered individuals and bathroom usage, what is the current state of knowledge about transsexualism/transgenderism? Be sure to include both ideas about causation as well as information about the current debate.
5) Discuss the evidence that supports and/or refutes a biological foundation for homosexuality. What is the current status of the argument about biological causes?
6) What is the current status of the abortion debate in the United States? Include a discussion of the Roe and related decisions as well as a discussion of where various states weigh in on these issues?
7) There is a huge debate raging about the benefits of mammography for women. What are the issues? What evidence supports/refutes the use of mammography for women? What mammography techniques are available and which work best? What policy should be adopted going forward?
The paper should be approximately 10 pages in length, excluding the reference page, abstract page, and title page. It should be double spaced and use a 12 point font. You will need at least 5 references other than your text. You may use 1 or 2 web sources; however, I would strongly urge you to use the UML library’s electronic database to search for relevant journal articles (primary sources) or scholarly book resources. The following link will take you to the library’s website: http://www.uml.edu/libraries/.
If you click on Databases, you will be able to search for information published in psychology journals. There are also other databases that you may search that might have relevant sources for your topic. You can also use Google Scholar as a search engine. You will need to use APA (American Psychological Association) style guidelines to prepare your paper. I have a wonderful link that will help you prepare your paper according to APA standards. The site is from Purdue University. I have used it extensively in several of my courses. The link to the Purdue site is: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
Additionally, I am providing a link to a page on the UMass Lowell Department of Psychology’s website that has links to a large number of PowerPoint presentations that deal with writing in APA style: http://www.uml.edu/FAHSS/Psychology/Current-Students/Writing-Resources.aspx
Remember, that you need to provide citations in your paper for any source that you use, even if you are not directly quoting the source. Provide a good paraphrase of the material and then provide a citation in the text. While you may use direct quotations, use them sparingly. They should be used only when the author(s)’ exact words are needed to convey the message for specific emphasis. I would expect no more than 2 or 3 direct quotations in a paper of this type. Of course, citations are required when you use direct quotes. Submit your paper through this Course Paper Assignment Dropbox. Failure to provide citations in the text of your paper is plagiarism and may result in a failing grade for your paper. So be aware of this. You need to provide a list of References at the end of your paper as well.
Here is another way get to PsycInfo:
2. This is a research guide developed especially as a psychology resource to help UML students find journal articles in psychology.
· You can also access this page by clicking on “Research Guides” from the UML library home page and then clicking “Psychology Resources” and the “Articles” tab.
3. HUMAN SEXUALITY MAJOR PAPER RUBRIC
4. UNSATISFACTORY MARGINALLY COMPETENT PROFICIENT HIGHLY PROFICIENT COMPETENT
6. Work shows excellent understanding of content appropriate for paper
7. Work lacks understanding of material appropriate for topic – relies on personal opinion and not sources; paper almost exclusively direct quotations
8. Work shows some understanding of appropriate material – complete reliance on websites as sources and some opinion; many sources unrelated to topic; many direct quotations
9. Work shows understanding of appropriate material; websites still a source of content, but not completely reliant on them; some sources not relevant, but most are; still tends to overuse direct quotations
10. ; Paper is adequately organized; transitions okay but could be improved
11. Work shows good understanding of appropriate content; few websites and good use of scholarly sources; sources appropriate to topic
13. ORGANIZATION (Weight: 2X)
14. Paper is extremely well organized with excellent transitions
15. Citations complete and formatting consistently excellent; references complete
16. Paper has no coherent organization
17. Paper has some organization, but transitions very poor and thoughts not organized
18. Paper is well organized and transitions good
20. SOURCES PROPERLY CITED IN TEXT AND REFERENCES PROVIDED AT END OF PAPER
21. (Weight: 6X)
22. PAPER IS OF ADEQUATE LENGTH (Weight: 2X)
23. Paper covers topic well and is at least 9-10 pages in length, excluding title and reference page
24. No source citations provided or very few; no reference page
25. Some citations provided but inconsistently; incomplete references
26. Citations generally provided, although one or two may be missing; some formatting problems; if missing references, only one
28. Citations consistently provided; formatting good, with minor errors only; no missing references
30. Completely inadequate – 2 -3 pages, excluding title and reference page
31. Inadequate – 3 -5 pages, excluding title and reference page,
32. Adequate, but not compliant with stated requirements – 5-7 pages, excluding title and reference page
33. Paper covers topic well and is 7-9 pages in length, excluding title and reference page
34. HUMAN SEXUALITY MAJOR PAPER RUBRIC
35. Virtually no writing, spelling, and grammatical errors
36. APA compliance excellent
Many writing, spelling, and grammatical errors, making the paper hard to follow .
Writing, spelling, and grammatical errors, but not as prevalent; paper somewhat hard to follow as a result
|Some writing, spelling, and grammatical errors; overall quality of paper affected but not significantly reduced as a result.
|Few writing, spelling, and grammatical errors|
|Does not follow APA style guidelines||
Some compliance with guidelines, but many major errors
|Some errors but most are minor errors||
Few errors; all are minor
39. WRITING, SPELLING, AND GRAMMAR (Weight: 1X)
40. FOLLOWS APA STYLE GUIDELINES (Weight: 2X)
41. KEEPS READER’S INTEREST (Weight: 1X)
42. Went to sleep
43. Stayed awake, but got sleepy reading
44. Stayed awake but my thoughts wandered
45. Interesting reading