how international law remains an effective approach that augments domestic laws or fails to do so.
Wallace & Martin-Ortega (2020, p.34) state “International law is constantly evolving and developing to accommodate contemporary needs and demands. It is not simply lawyers’ black letter law, and politics does play an influential role”. Based on this quotation, suggest how international law remains an effective approach that augments domestic laws or fails to do so.
In your answer, illustrate your understanding of international law and the work of international organizations by using the course material to draw on the sources of international law, the actors of international law, the changing nature and influence of international law, the current challenges of international law, the influence of globalization and the cross-cutting themes diussed in the course (e.g. international human rights, international environment, humanitarian law, refugee law, international criminal law, and international economic law). Use at least three specific examples to clarify your argument(s).
Mandatory References: When doing in text citations please use page numbers and/or paragraph numbers.
1. Koh, H.H. (2018, Feb. 2). Trump vs. International Law: He is not Winning. Opinio Juris. Retrieved from http://opiniojuris.org/2018/10/02/trump-vs-international-law-hes-not-winning/
2. Wallace, R.M.M. & Martin-Ortega, O. (2020). International Law. Ninth Ed. Sweet & Maxwell.
3. Connelly, C. (2018). The Alien Tort Statute: “An Avant-Garde Tool for Human Rights” or a Camoflaged Curse? University of Cincinnati Law Review, 87(1) 203-218. https://scholarship.law.uc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1258&context=uclr
4. Wouters, J. & Odermatt, J. (2014). Comparing the ‘Four Pillars’ of Global Economic Governance: A Critical Analysis of the Institutional Design of the FSB, IMF, World Bank, and WTO. Journal of International Economic Law, 17(1), 49-76.
5. Make sure to cite the powerpoints as well.
- Include at least three examples (which may include treaties, cases, states, organisations, or scenarios) for your answer.
- It is recommended to use subheadings to ensure you have included the various required components of the paper.
- The paper includes a thesis statement
- The opening paragraph/section indicates what the paper will cover
- The question asked is directly addressed
- Includes three examples
- Illustrates an understanding of international law
- Illustrates an understanding of the work of international organizations
ð Draws on sources of international law (custom, treaty, principles, other)
ð Draws on the actors of international law (states, non-state actors)
ð Draws on changing nature and influence of international law
ð Draws on current challenges of international law
ð Discusses globalisation
ð Draws on the cross-cutting themes to make points (i.e. human rights, humanitarian law, economic law, environmental law)
ð Has a conclusion
- the answer illustrates comprehensive analysis that identifies and explains the core concepts raised in the question. Pertinent examples were drawn on to articulate key concepts from international law and international organizations. The answer crafts analysis that is attentive to the quality of the information examined and is judicious in the use of applicable legal norms.
- provides examples of your ability to critically reflect on all of the elements provided in the question. It also considers the potential or actual impacts and consequences on, and by, state and non state actors under the relevant international law.