1. Read Chapters 5 & 6. Pay special attention to the Common Sense excerpt in the Voices of Freedom box in Chapter 5. Also, read the Declaration of Independence in the Appendix of your textbook. You may use Chapter 5 as background material on Thomas Paine and Thomas Jefferson. Once all reading is complete, respond to the following items:
- Compare the backgrounds of Jefferson and Paine; did Paine have an advantage or disadvantage by not being born in the colonies? Explain.
- Examine the language used in both documents; who is the audience for each writer?
- Why does Jefferson not discuss slavery in the Declaration?
- What did Paine and Jefferson say about the monarchy in their respective documents?
- Why does Jefferson focus more on the king than parliament?
You are required to submit an initial posting (200 words minimum) that addresses the items above
2. Using a minimum of 200 words, address the following:
- How did the Seven Year’s War change the approach of the British imperial government toward the colonies?
- Explain how that led to a crisis over representation and taxation.
3.Using a minimum of 200 words, address the following:
- Discuss the participation of women in the American Revolution, and changes the political philosophy of republicanism brought for women in the wake of the Revolution.