Essay -Leadership & Management Theories
Leadership & Management Theories
Assignment BriefYou are required to complete one assignment to test the following module learning outcomes:
1. Critically evaluate the development of leadership and management theories;
2. Critically appreciate the nature of leadership and management theories and their application in a range of leadership and management settings.
1. Assignment QuestionCritically evaluate the application of leadership theories to a leader in an organisational context (e.g. a company of your choice) and management theories to a contemporary organisation.
2. GuidanceA strong essay must use the key themes addressed in the module to develop the analysis, namely:
- Classical to Contemporary Management Theories
- Behavioural Management
- Culture & Leadership
- Leader-centric and behavioural Theories of Leadership
- Contemporary Theories in Leadership
The maximum word for the assessment is 6,000 words, +/- 10%.
2.1 Structure Students will decide on the appropriate structure and content but we would expect to see the following elements:
§ Introduction (explaining the purpose and structure of the report):o the terms of reference for the report in general, the theoretical area and focus of your report and approach taken (including method(s) used);o setting the context (background to sector, organisation, organisational structure, culture etc.).o Structure of the report.
§ Main body of the assignment (with subheadings for easier navigation & professionalism):o Contextual discussion of the broader development of leadership and management theory as appropriate to the chosen topic for critical evaluation;o critical evaluation of leadership and management theorieso application of critiqued theory to evidenced practice within the selected contemporary organisation;o evaluation and commentary on the fit (or lack of fit) between your critiqued theory and practice as evidenced.
§ Conclusions:o Your conclusions should relate to the terms of reference for the report (in other words you should be reaching conclusions about theory, practice and the fit between theory and practice).
ReferencesReferences:Use the University’s Harvard referencing system