Communication And Ethics
Write an analysis of and propose improvements to your organization’s internal and external communications as they apply to ethical behavior and social responsibility.
It is crucial for everyone to understand and respect ethical issues when it comes to organizational communication.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Analyze business communication situations.
- Analyze how external communications reflect a company’s commitment to social responsibility.
- Propose potential improvements to a company’s external communications regarding its social responsibility.
- Competency 2: Analyze the interrelationships of communication within organizational systems.
- Analyze how internal communications support ethical behavior within a company.
- Propose potential improvements to internal communications.
- Competency 3: Communicate effectively.
- Write clearly to convey the intended content and follow APA rules for attributing sources.
For this assessment, consider that your manager (or one you’re familiar with) was asked to review the organization’s approach to communication, including as related to ethics. The manager asked you to help by conducting an analysis of the organization’s internal and external communications, including as they apply to ethical behavior and social responsibility. Very importantly, the manager asked for proposed improvements associated with the analysis.
Focus on the organization for which you work or with which you are otherwise involved. Examine this company’s communications related to ethical behavior within the company as well as its corporate social responsibility. Research and document the organization’s internal and external communications, such as mission statements, credos, et cetera, in regard to its values and ethics. Then complete the following:
- Analyze how the company’s internal communications help support ethical behavior within the company and describe the potential impact on employee behavior. Examples of ethical behavior include embracing diversity and protecting confidential corporate data and private data.
- Analyze how the company’s external communications reflect its commitment to social responsibility and describe the potential impact on public perception. Examples of social responsibility include indicators such as dedication to community service, compassion for the disadvantaged, commitment to charitable giving, and concern for the environment.
- Propose potential improvements to internal communications that would help increase ethical behavior in the company and justify those improvements based upon identified weaknesses or opportunities of current communications.
- Propose potential improvements to the external communications that would help bolster the company’s public perception as a socially responsible company and justify those improvements based upon identified weaknesses or opportunities of current communications.
Your analysis and proposed improvements should be well organized and written in clear, succinct language. Follow APA rules for attributing sources that support your analysis and conclusions.