Instructions for the Midterm
In preparation for the Midterm, remember the following:
1. Our Midterm is scheduled for Wednesday Oct 9th
2. Bring a SCANTRON Form 882
3. Please be punctual because we will start the midterm on time.
4. You will have one hour (60min) to finish the midterm
5. The midterm will have two types of questions: (a) multiple choice questions, like the ones in the quizzes, and (b) short essay questions similar to the ones in the study guide.
6. Midterm Extra Credit. You have an opportunity to receive 10% (3 points) as extra credit toward the grade of the midterm if you bring ALL the answers to ALL the questions of the Midterm Study Guide written by hand (not typed or printed) with complete and accurate answers. Remember that this is only if you want extra credit. It is not a required assignment. Turn in the handwritten document for extra credit right before the midterm (at the beginning of the class). You do not need to write down the question. Write only the answers.
As always, let me know if you have any questions. See you Monday.
CIS3100 – Midterm Study Guide
1. Define an information system and explain the IS components using two examples presented in Project 1.
2. What is the difference between data and information? Provide an example to illustrate the difference
3. What is digital divide? Describe an example of digital divide you observed in the last five years.
4. Describe the dual nature of information systems in the success and failure of modern organizations.
5. Define each of the five IT megatrends shaping the digital future.
6. Explain the three levels of management in organizations. Provide examples of decisions made for each level.
7. Explain how information systems support decisions at each managerial level. Provide examples of an information system in your field and decisions made.
8. Explain Porter’s five forces model. Define each force and give an example from the IT industry.
9. Define the Value based model and give an example of its application in the manufacturing industry.
10. Describe competitive advantage and list six sources.
12. How do application software and databases support organizational processes? Give an example to illustrate the concepts.
13. Describe the essential components of an organization’s IS infrastructure.
14. Describe three issues associated with managing the IS infrastructure.
15. What is cloud computing? Identify two pros and cons of cloud computing. What are the five characteristics of the cloud service model.
16. What are the three Service Models.
17. What are the primary forms of e-government? Provide examples for each.
18. Describe social commerce and explain how companies can leverage consumers’ social networks.
19. What is the online consumer’s hierarchy of needs, and why is it important for e-tailers?
20. Describe the differences between SEO, search marketing, and sponsored search.
21. What is showrooming, and how has it affected offline retailers?
22. How does net neutrality pose a threat to EC?
23. What are virtual teams, and how do they help to improve an organization’s capabilities?
24. Is using social media an important factor for attracting and retaining employees? Why?
25. What is a wiki? Why would an organization want to implement a wiki? Provide two examples of wiki sites (excluding Wikipedia).
26. How can organizations use social networking to connect with their customers? Provide an example.
27. Why can social media be both a blessing and a threat for organizations?
28. How can organizations plan for social media disasters?
1. How does the function COUNTIF work? Give an example. Write the formula of your example.
2. What are PIVOT Tables in Excel?. Describe one example of how it was used in the Excel project.
3. How can you filter data in Excel? Describe one example of how it was used in the Excel project.