Assignment Mini Project
Resources: Readings from Chapter 2, Excel Video Tutorials on right side of page (note these are for 2010 but the functions perform the same way in 2007, 2013 and 2016).Readings from Chapter 2
You can also find tutorial help on Excel® and Word functions can be found on the Microsoft®Office website. There are also additional tutorials via the web offering support for Office products.
Refer to Mini-Project Movie Data Set.
Analyze and write a report summarizing this data. This report should include answers to at least the following questions:
- Calculate the summary measures (the mean, standard deviation) of the total gross income for each movie genre. Why would we want to calculate these vs. looking at total gross income by itself? Which genre(s) are performing best? Show your results in a table in the Word.doc.
- Which genre had greater variation in total gross income? Explain your reasoning behind your conclusion. Why is this important to know from a business standpoint?
- Look at the average opening gross income as a percentage of the average total gross income for each genre. Which genre(s) are the most successful when they first open? Why is this important to know?
- Consider all of the above measures – average total gross income, variability of the total gross income and the average opening gross income as a percentage of the average total – for all genres. If you were a manager for a multiplex movie theater that could show 4 movies at a time, which genre(s) would you want showing at your theater? Explain why based on the statistical analysis.
Use Excel to sort the data and calculate your summary statistics (see videos).
***ALL DATA SHEET LINKS AND VIDEO LINKS ARE AT THE BOTTOM***
Create Summary tables in Excel and copy and paste into your Word document for the respective sections. Do NOT submit separate Excel workbooks or discuss numbers without a table to refer to.
Write a 700-word report addressing each of the requirements, above. Be succinct. The reasoning behind these decisions is not complicated but you must understand the concepts.
Proofread your paper using a spell/grammar checker and make sure you have references as needed.
Format your assignment consistent with APA guidelines.
- VIDEO: How to sort in Excel :
- VIDEO: How to calculate the Mean and Standard Deviation in Excel: