Assignment: Coaching Plan
The International Coach Federation (2018) defines coaching as “. . . a thought-providing and creative process that inspires [clients] to maximize their personal and professional potential” (para. 1). There are many variations on the coaching process, but most coaching processes involve assessing the leader’s strengths and limitations, identifying goals, and working toward achieving those goals. For this Assignment, you will create a coaching plan for the leader described in the case study located in this week’s Learning Resources.
International Coach Federation. (2018). What is professional coaching? Retrieved from http://www.icfphiladelphia.org/page-18058
- Read the case study in this week’s Learning Resources. Assess the leader’s strengths and limitations. In addition, based on what you learned this week, identify the types of dysfunction the leader displays.
- Read Chapter 11 in the Sage Handbook. Focus on the theoretical approaches to coaching and which might be most appropriate for the leader in the case study. Also, consider different development strategies.
- Based on what you learned in Weeks 8 and 9 and earlier this week, research two coaching techniques (six in total) you think would be effective for addressing the following areas: leader dysfunction, leading diverse groups of employees, and ethical leadership.
- Read the article “Conceptual Framework for a Positive Psychology Coaching Practice.” Identify aspects of positive coaching you would use with the leader.
- Read the article “Beyond the Client/Coaching Dyad in Coaching Senior Business Leaders.”
Consider which information you would share with the leader’s supervisor and which information you would not and why.
- Read the article “Developing the Leader as Coach: Insights Strategies, and Tips for Embedding Coaching Skills in the Workplace.” Identify coaching skills you would recommend that the leader’s supervisor adopt in the workplace.
By Day 7
In page paper, create a coaching plan that includes the following:
- Assess the leader’s strengths and limitations. Be sure to identify different types of dysfunction the leader displays.
- Describe which theoretical coaching approaches you would use with the leader, and explain why.
- Describe two specific coaching techniques (six in total) you would use to address the three following areas: leader dysfunction, leading a diverse group of employees, and ethical leadership. Explain how you would use each technique to develop the leader.
- Explain how you would integrate aspects of positive coaching into your work with the leader.
- Describe two challenges you might encounter when working with the leader and explain how you would overcome each.
- Describe what information you would share with the leader’s supervisor and what information you would not and explain why.
- Describe what coaching strategies you would recommend the leader’s supervisor adopt to further develop the leader after your work with him has ended. Explain why you would recommend each.