|GSCM588 Article Summary Requirements|
To write a summary, use your own words to express the main ideas and relevant details of the article you have read. Your purpose in writing the summary is to give the basic ideas of the original article. What was it about and what were the key points? In this assignment, it will also include a reflection and critique.
1. Select a specific article of interest to you on the topic of a quality management–related subject. Examples may be how a given quality related problem was approached or solved at a company, or how a method of quality improvement was used in a certain situation. You might want to review the text, lectures, and/or documents in doc sharing for ideas that interest you.
2. The article needs to be a scholarly, peer-reviewed article, which you can find by using EBSCOhost.
3. You also need to identify which of the course TCOs and specific topics in the Syllabus are related to the article you select.
1. All papers should be single sided, double spaced, and written in12-point Times New Roman font.
2. The paper should be between 3 and 5 pages, excluding the cover page, reference pages, and appendices.
3. The first page should include the title of the work; the student’s name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address; the course number; the date; and the instructor’s name.
4. Follow APA style for general format and citations.
5. Paper sections must adhere to the guidelines below and each section must be labeled in the text.
6. The language should be clear, concise, and precise.
7. The tone should be professional, consistent, and not filled with jargon.
8. Grammar and syntax (sentence structure) must be correct.
9. The report must be free of misspellings and typos.
Tables and Figures (if used)
1. All figures and tables must be referred to in your text before they appear on the page.
a. Figures and tables should appear on the same page that refers to them, or on the next page.
2. All figures and tables need captions. Captions go below figures and above tables.
Quotations and Citations
1. Quotations and citations are crucial components of a research paper.
2. Failure to properly cite research sources and borrowed ideas is plagiarism.
3. Papers submitted without citations and references will be returned to the student with no grade.
4. Refer to APA style guide for assistance with properly citing quoted and/or borrowed materials and ideas.
Your paper must include the following sections.
|Title Page||5||This should include the title of your quality management research paper; your name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number; the course number and title; the instructor’s name; and the date.|
|Introduction||15||Provide an overview of the article and why you selected it to review and summarize.|
|Key Points||35||Identify and clearly state the key points of the article and the quality management issue(s) to which they pertain.|
|Reflection||35||In this section, you are to reflect on your learning from this assignment. Identify the areas that you found most interesting and also identify areas that you feel will assist you most in your career. In addition, provide a critique if applicable.|
|References and APA Format||10||Although it is recognized that there may be a limited number of references if any other than the article being reviewed, all references must be cited in two places: within the body of your paper and on a separate reference list. Choose references judiciously and cite them accurately. Cite all sources using APA format.To use the ideas or words of another person without crediting the source is plagiarism. Plagiarism in its purest form involves copying passages either verbatim or nearly verbatim, with no direct acknowledgment of the source. The most common form of plagiarism is to paraphrase information from your source material. Paraphrasing does not relieve you of the obligation to provide proper identification of source data.The best way to avoid plagiarism is to make sure all quotes, ideas, or conclusions not your own are given proper acknowledgment in your text. A key thought to remember is “If you did not write it, cite it!”Also, all other aspects of the paper should conform to APA rules.|
Course Objectives (COs) define the learning objectives that the student will be required to demonstrate by course completion.
Given a requirement to implement quality practices, demonstrate an understanding of the historical and current practices, apply various means for defining quality, and demonstrate how quality principles are being utilized in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries.1,2,6,5
Given the need to understand how quality principles drive organizational actions and improvement, demonstrate an understanding of continuous improvement as a competitive advantage, apply areas for improvement, measurement techniques, results monitoring, and action plans in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries. Furthermore, apply performance measurements of the firm’s progress, be able to practice the measures, analyze results, and use the data in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries.1,2,6,5,7
Given an organizational need for ongoing improvement, demonstrate working knowledge of an established quality/process improvement program as demonstrated by 20th and 21st century quality thought leaders. Furthermore, demonstrate an understanding of the development process for new products, define and apply the principles of product and process design in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries.1,2,3,6,7
Given a customer requirement of a documented quality system as a contractual condition, be able to illustrate the primary elements of a Baldrige Quality system and/or ISO 9000:2000 quality system, and demonstrate an understanding of how the assessment of strengths and weaknesses in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries can be used in the application of the quality tools.2
Given the importance of customer satisfaction and loyalty, apply methods of improving both by analyzing customer needs, gathering customer information, using surveys, complaint resolution, and customer relationship management.3
Given the need to recognize the strategic role of the organizational leader with respect to the quality culture of an organization, demonstrate an understanding of the elements necessary to implement and sustain a quality culture in both supplier and receiving organization product and service industries.4
Given a requirement to implement high performance systems, translate the role of human resources from both a managerial and human resources function related to employee involvement, empowerment, and training to determine their effectiveness.4