1st Speech About 2 Min
st Speech Instructions
This assignment is meant to be an easy first speech. We will learn more about you and you will learn how our assignments will be turned in for the semester.
The speech should be about 1-2 minutes in length. You will tell us a story that has happened to you at some point in your life. You should be the main character of your story.
- Tell me the story about the time that you traveled somewhere new
- Tell me the story about you and your pet dog
- Tell me the story about something you worked hard for, and eventually it paid off.
Steps to completing this assignment:
- Choose a memorable story from your life
- Create an outline that your story follows
- Upload your outline to Blackboard
- Record or upload your speech to the correct link in Blackboard (This will be a McGraw-Hill webpage).
- Watch the recording of your speech and write your self-reflection essay.
Expectations and Requirements
Your story must involve information about you
About 1-2 minutes
No research required
Must be saved as a Microsoft Word File (.DOCX)
Tips on Recording your Speech:
- You need to stand far enough away from the camera so that I can see you hands when they rest naturally by your side.
- You need proper lighting so that I can see your facial expressions.
- Your audio must be clearly understandable, filming your speech directly into ‘McGrawHill Connect’ is a big help.
- You are welcome to use notecards, but you should never be reading off your computer monitor for a speech.
- No editing allowed, you should submit one shot with no jump cuts or editing.
- You must show an audience of at least 5 adults (High School Students are considered adults). If you do not give your speech in front of a live audience of at least 5 people, your speech will not receive a grade.
1st Speech Self Critique Essay
After completing your 1st Speech, you will watch the video of your speech and write a 2 page, double spaced, MLA essay.
In this essay you will critique areas you will assess your current level as a public speaker. You can write about areas such as:
- Eye Contact
As long as you are talking about your ability as a public speaker, how your public speaking skills might affect your career, or goals you would like to improve during the semester, you are doing the assignment correctly.
In addition to your honest thoughts on your speech performance, I would like you to comment on the following
- First words used to start the speech
- Last words used to end the speech
Don’t censor anything from this question. If you said “Um…so, I guess I’ll start with my hometown” please share that, and if you think that was a good choice for your first, and last, words of your speech.
If you still have not reached 2 pages in your paper, you can feel free to address questions such as…
- What was your favorite part of the speech?
- What things should you try to improve upon?
- What surprised you when you watched the speech?